Starbucks is pretty smart with how they engage you. I think it all comes down to this: They want to build a habit in your life of buying coffee from them.
1. It starts with good content. Ok, coffee divas, you might not consider it good, but you probably agree that it’s better than the coffee at most restaurants and gas stations.
2. They give you free music and apps. In store you can get the download code cards for free. If you have the app, it will give you notifications that there is a free download ready.
3. They want to turn the gift card that you were given into a reward card.
4. When you buy a bag of Starbucks coffee at the grocery store, they’ll still give you a “star” for your reward program.
5. When your are finished with a bag of Starbucks coffee you can bring the empty bag into the store and exchange it for a coffee. —> This one is a kicker. Even if you bought the Starbucks brand from another place, they are still driving you toward their retail store.
These are just a few small things, but they add up. By giving rewards and coordinating giving away music to you, they are trying to train you to respond favorably when they ping you. Also they keep themselves on your mind steadily. A constant slow drip of changing your habits and impulses. And from what I can tell, this strategy is working.
Tweet to @joeltimothy